We recently did a roundup of delicious non-pie dessert ideas for anyone looking to diversify their dessert spread this Thanksgiving, and promised that we would follow up with an epic list of pies. We would now like to pay tribute to a category of food that comes in all tastes, textures, shapes (well, usually circles) and sizes – one which has been part of our annual celebration since the very beginning.
ALL HAIL TO THE CLASSICS
1. Classic Apple Pie: There’s nothing quite as inviting or comforting as warm apple pie fresh out of the oven. It’s like a big, warm, all-American after-dinner hug. (Recipe and photo: Pastry Affair)
2. Pumpkin Pie: While known to have been enjoyed by early settlers, it is likely that this silky pie’s humble beginnings involved more of a pudding. We would like to give thanks to whoever had the brilliant idea to put a crust on it. (Recipe and photo: Heather Homemade)
3. Sweet Potato Pie: A root-vegetable-based Southern staple whose roots trace back to the early colonial days. Similar to pumpkin pie, people usually go for one or the other. If you’re a lover of both, however, scroll down, as we have a solution for you. (Recipe and photo: Food Babbles)
4. Vegan Pumpkin Pie: By putting coconut milk, dates and walnuts to creative use you can fashion a version that everyone can enjoy… without ever opening the oven. (Recipe and photo: The Spunky Coconut)
2. Winter Squash Pies: No plates necessary – this pie is baked right into the squash! Such a brilliant way to go crustless (rendering these pies gluten-free). (Recipe and photo: Adventures in Cooking)
3. Thanksgiving Pie Tarts: Having trouble deciding which pies should take the cake? This provides a way to cover all the bases (pumpkin, pecan and sweet potato) without overdoing it. (Recipe and photo: Savory Simple)